Day 12: First Day of Work/Yankee's Game/Mum and Pa

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Today was my first day at work. I woke-up early so I could take my time. However, in doing so I lost track of time. Left for work 10 mins before I had to be there. Great way to start, I know. But for those of you who don't know, I am only a 10 min walk from work. And I jogged a bit, so I got there in about 6 mins. Only to find out, I bet everyone else there including my intern supervisor. We didn't actually meet until 40 mins later. I so did not need to be there on time.
There are 11 interns total. One is leaving at the end of July, so there will only be 10. Everyone is really nice. There is one guy who is from Berlin, one lady from Canada, one lady from South America (I can't remember exactly where), and everyone is from the states. Only one is a native New Yorker.
We had a tour of the offices, meet everyone, talked with a lot of people, heard a lot of banging (they are putting up a new building right next store and today the inserted the steal beams in the ground), met with our departments, had a group lunch, did some work, had a tour of our gallery, did some more work, had another meeting, and that was the end of the day. There was one tiny hiccup in the day.... at about 4pm someone finally noticed a sign posted on the bathrooms that said our water is going to be turned off all day tomorrow and possible till Friday. The problem? We are hosting an event tomorrow for about 50 people and we need bathrooms! Called management. Hopefully the water will be working again by 5pm for the event.

Having our group lunch.

I think I'm really going to like work. I know I am completely prepared as far as the nonprofit side of things, maybe a little too prepared, but I know nothing of the photographers they speak of or the artistic side of modern day photography. A lot of the other interns studied photography as their major, so it is a little intimidating. And I found out I am the closest commuter out of the entire staff. Some people, it takes them an hour and a half. Yuck.
After work I met up with my folks back at my place and we headed to the Yankee's game. It was the 34 game left in the old stadium. We sat in the bleachers. The weather was beautiful. Nice breeze, clear sky. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

We left after the 7th inning and got something to eat at the 24hr Tick-Tock Diner by my place. After a few pictures, a few tears, and hugs and kisses they headed to their hotel.

0 comments: